100 mile border zone

National, state, regional, and local politics. Who's doing what to whom, and what you can do about it. How-to-get-action messages are encouraged. "How the government fucked up my life" stories are encouraged. Sharing new methods for cheating on taxes is encouraged. Sample "letters to congresscritters" are encouraged. Apathy and "I can't do anything" posts are discouraged. Left, right, centrist, or any other form of political-economic systems are all up for discussion. Be prepared to defend yourself, or at least have a good line of bullshit ready. Extensive quoting of economists and philosophers is frowned upon. We want to hear what YOU have to say, not what some constipated, impotent, dead guy dreamt up while suffering from the DT's over a hundred years ago thought.
Post Reply
Kheron
Registered
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 pm

100 mile border zone

Post by Kheron » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:24 am

What's that?

Well, you should know, because statistically you're likely affected. 2/3rds of Americans are.

The 100 mile border zone (plus airports!) is a 100 air-mile distance edging the entirety of the US in which we effectively have no rights. This lack of rights was recently expanded to be even lack-ier in the recent Egbert vs Boule ruling by the SCOTUS.

The gist of it is, or was: Border control can search you without a warrant and seize whatever the god damn hell they want to. Have an issue with that? Get fucked, you don't have rights, you live in an authoritarian republic.

Except, with Egbert vs Boule, a case in which a federal agent assaulted an inn-keeper who requested the agent leave his property, the SCOTUS ruled that any federal agent can do things like wantonly attack citizens and we have zero recourse.

If you think you have rights because of the government, you're a victim of propaganda my friend. You have rights because you're a living thing. A government only seeks to take them away and then conditionally give them back as long as you do what they tell you.


https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/border-zone

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2022/ ... 0officials.

User avatar
Enigma
Site Admin
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 am
Location: The Interweb
Contact:

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Enigma » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:15 am

The more kind of fucked thing is that it wasn't always completely like that. Before 9/11 an American citizen could cross the Canadian and the Mexico border with no passport
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 am

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Das Troll » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 am

Regular police have the ability to seize cash once it reaches a certain level because they say something like "Anyone with that amount of cash must be up to criminal activity". They often take the cash and use it to buy dumb shit like slushy machines and party materials for themselves.

User avatar
Enigma
Site Admin
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 am
Location: The Interweb
Contact:

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Enigma » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:00 pm

Yeah, but it's like.... A lot of cash.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 am

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Das Troll » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:22 pm

Enigma wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:00 pm
Yeah, but it's like.... A lot of cash.
I thought so too, apparently it's determined by the arresting officer.

If you're arrested, all of your belongings will be inventoried at the jail. But whether you'll get everything back is the question.

Under federal and state laws, law enforcement officers can seize property, including cash, if the money is earned from or used to commit a crime. The seizure is known as "forfeiture," and it's done without compensation to the owner. If police have reason to believe that you are involved in certain illegal activities, such as selling drugs, they can seize any property you have on you, including cash. In short, you might lose the cash if there's evidence that it was the proceeds of an illegal activity. Police are not permitted to seize property simply because the driver committed a traffic violation, but the fact that you are carrying a lot of cash can raise suspicion that you might be involved in other crimes.

Although forfeiture is intended to deter criminal activity, the simple truth is that seizures also produce revenue for law enforcement agencies. As a result, some police departments and prosecutors use forfeiture aggressively, even when there is little evidence of wrongdoing.

User avatar
Enigma
Site Admin
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 am
Location: The Interweb
Contact:

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Enigma » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:31 pm

There's kind of a grey area too it too, like, the reason pimps wear so much jewelry is because it's easier for cops to take cash than it is to take random items, so they then release the jewelry to their hoes, they pawn it, the pimp gets out and picks the jewelry back up using dirty money.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Kheron
Registered
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Kheron » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:02 pm

Consider also this other recent case. Arizona appealed a decision to overturn a death row inmate's conviction. The SCOTUS ruled in favor of the Arizona AG, stating that being innocent wasn't enough of a reason to get out of prison.

So, the Feds can break into our house, take our suit, assault us, throw us in prison, and then go "no take backs, you're stuck in there even if we're in the wrong"

Some pretty terrifying shit going on here.


https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-ju ... 06252.html

User avatar
Enigma
Site Admin
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 am
Location: The Interweb
Contact:

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Enigma » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:34 pm

Technically they're upholding Arizona's original decision. They actually have nothing to do with the original conviction.


I'm not saying it isn't wrong in any way, I'm just pointing out that one detail.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 am

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Das Troll » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 pm

Kheron wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:02 pm
Consider also this other recent case. Arizona appealed a decision to overturn a death row inmate's conviction. The SCOTUS ruled in favor of the Arizona AG, stating that being innocent wasn't enough of a reason to get out of prison.

So, the Feds can break into our house, take our suit, assault us, throw us in prison, and then go "no take backs, you're stuck in there even if we're in the wrong"

Some pretty terrifying shit going on here.


https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-ju ... 06252.html
That happened to me when I was a young lad. My mom was dating a drug dealer and cops raided our house WHILE I WAS WATCHING THE TV SHOW COPS. I thought the whole thing was a joke until the gun was pressed to my 13 year old back while they hand cuffed me. They destroyed my house, took my guns that my dead father had left me, never gave anything back.

Kheron
Registered
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Kheron » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:08 pm

Das Troll wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 pm
Kheron wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:02 pm
Consider also this other recent case. Arizona appealed a decision to overturn a death row inmate's conviction. The SCOTUS ruled in favor of the Arizona AG, stating that being innocent wasn't enough of a reason to get out of prison.

So, the Feds can break into our house, take our suit, assault us, throw us in prison, and then go "no take backs, you're stuck in there even if we're in the wrong"

Some pretty terrifying shit going on here.


https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-ju ... 06252.html
That happened to me when I was a young lad. My mom was dating a drug dealer and cops raided our house WHILE I WAS WATCHING THE TV SHOW COPS. I thought the whole thing was a joke until the gun was pressed to my 13 year old back while they hand cuffed me. They destroyed my house, took my guns that my dead father had left me, never gave anything back.
That's fucking unfortunate. At least more people are learning that cops, corporations, and governments are not our friends. We're in a class war and we're all in this together.

User avatar
Enigma
Site Admin
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 am
Location: The Interweb
Contact:

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Enigma » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:38 pm

Cops are absolutely 100% our friends lol. It's the laws they're sworn to uphold that are the problem.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Kheron
Registered
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Kheron » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:40 pm

Enigma wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:38 pm
Cops are absolutely 100% our friends lol. It's the laws they're sworn to uphold that are the problem.
Cops aren't even legally required to protect us. They're there to protect the Capitalist Class from the Worker Class.

They're basically a meme at this point. Arrive 30 minutes late to flashbang your baby's crib and shoot your dog. Active police do nothing unless they're already on the scene. Investigators, sure, but I don't need the Boys In Blue trying to meet arrest quotas just to fund the city's treasury.

User avatar
Enigma
Site Admin
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 am
Location: The Interweb
Contact:

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Enigma » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:32 pm

LMAO, okay, whatever you say. I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've had ZERO interactions with the police in your lifetime outside of a school liaison officer.

Like.... You quite obviously have no fucking clue what you are talking about what-so-ever. Meanwhile over here in reality I've called the cops with great success on many occasions, as well as had the police called on me on several occasions to great success of the one calling the police.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 am

Re: 100 mile border zone

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:56 am

Kheron wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:40 pm
Enigma wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:38 pm
Cops are absolutely 100% our friends lol. It's the laws they're sworn to uphold that are the problem.
Cops aren't even legally required to protect us. They're there to protect the Capitalist Class from the Worker Class.

They're basically a meme at this point. Arrive 30 minutes late to flashbang your baby's crib and shoot your dog. Active police do nothing unless they're already on the scene. Investigators, sure, but I don't need the Boys In Blue trying to meet arrest quotas just to fund the city's treasury.
First part is actually true, sad as it is. https://mises.org/power-market/police-h ... -yet-again That's why the cops who didn't storm the uvalde shooter, didn't get in trouble. As for the rest of that, I can't attest to any of that because I myself don't have a lot of interactions with the cops.

Post Reply