Resin printing is now cheap and good

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

Resin printing is now cheap and good

Post by Das Troll » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:11 am

3d resin printing is far and away better than regular filament 3d printing when it comes to detailed models. Sure the market for parts and larger, less detailed models are firmly in the filament camp, but the quality of a small detailed print is won by resin printing.

Would you like to know more? y/n?

AngryIVer
Registered

Re: Resin printing is now cheap and good

Post by AngryIVer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:08 am

Actually yes
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Resin 3d printers are for some reason super cheap now. Printers like the Creality or the Elegoo Mars are as low as 200 to 300 dollars. The problem with resin 3d printers is the post processing time for your prints. Since the printers use UV light to cure the resin into its shape, it needs supports on all parts of the print with over hangs. This means you have a lot of little resin sticks to break off your mini, then you have to dip it in some sort of cleaning agent. 90% + ISP is good, Simple Green also works. After the mini is all cleaned up then you just smooth it out with some sort of buffer head. This will remove all the burs and such that come from breaking the supports off. After that you can either cure it into it's final form with a small UV lamp or leave it on a sunny window.

Regular 3d printers that use filament simply print up and then you're done. If the person making the 3d model had any skill, you won't need supports. FDM, (filament printers) are also better for making parts that you might use with a machine. Resin prints are brittle.

The resin printer also has a learning curve. I was printing models out solid so I went through my entire first bottle of resin in just a day or so. I then found out that you can hollow out your print and save time and resin. Little details like this save you a ton of money in the long run.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:38 pm

A lot of good information there. I've been wanting to get a 3D printer for a while now, especially after I started playing with Fusion 360 and realized it's not rocket science.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Resin printing has a lot of little tricks to learn. Like tilting your model so you actually get more supports, hollowing, or laying a tall print horizontal. That last one I didn't realize until I read that a tall thin model (think pencil) will take 10 hours to print while turning that same model horizontal will only take an hour to print.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:20 am

I suppose each layer probably had to cure slightly or something?

They make silicone 3D printing resin and I'm waaaay curious about that.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am

AngryIVer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:20 am
I suppose each layer probably had to cure slightly or something?

They make silicone 3D printing resin and I'm waaaay curious about that.
Vertical layering has a fixed time. Your slicer program tells you how many layers so just think of each layer taking 1 second to print. 1000 layers, 1000 seconds. In that same slicer you can take the pencil from sticking straight up to laying on its side taking the 1000 layer print to now 100 layers or less. So with that said you want to cram the build plate with as much as you can because 1 print takes the same amount of time as 10.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 am

Huh, strange.