Sonic 2 & Knuckles

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Enigma
Site Admin

Sonic 2 & Knuckles

Post by Enigma » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm

So I watched this video about how Sonic 2 & Knuckles's entire rom is located on the S&K cartridge, and that basically all the Sonic 2 cart being plugged in does is act as DRM to allow you to play the game, which makes me wonder wtf the point even was?
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Sonic 2 & Knuckles

Post by Das Troll » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Those stacking or add on things that sega was so famous for was just to add life onto the system and drain more money out of peoples pockets. What was the link to the video?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:20 pm

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Looks like they didn't even know what the plan was. I mean I sort of get why they did it, but i dont at the same time.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:26 pm

The #1 thing that pisses me off about Sega is they were the better console during every generation, they just made bone headed premonitions that scared away any 3rd party support. They kept announcing these stop-gap systems in between what was actually launched that made people feel like anything Sega was a poor investment.

Idgaf what anyone says, Dreamcast blew PS2 right out of the water. If they didn't fuck up the anti-piracy they could have held on and kept going as a console giant.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:26 pm
The #1 thing that pisses me off about Sega is they were the better console during every generation, they just made bone headed premonitions that scared away any 3rd party support. They kept announcing these stop-gap systems in between what was actually launched that made people feel like anything Sega was a poor investment.

Idgaf what anyone says, Dreamcast blew PS2 right out of the water. If they didn't fuck up the anti-piracy they could have held on and kept going as a console giant.
Yeah their anti piracy measures were a joke.