About to buy vBulletin....

Half Baked is for the lols, irrelevant ponderings, asking stupid questions, licking the proverbial butter, whinging, being a general prat. This is NOT a spam forum. HB adheres to totse-wide rules.
Enigma
Site Admin

About to buy vBulletin....

Post by Enigma » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:19 am

Played with a demo and think it's more or less exactly what I'm looking for right out of the box. Hot topics would actually work, the front page and rest of the site would coexist with one-another, and I'm 90% sure the OG Totse style would translate directly over to New Totse.

I'm negotiating a price on a used license, and if the guy isn't on crack and trying to charge what I could get it for new I might just commit. The boost in SEO and end user experience alone would be worth it.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: About to buy vBulletin....

Post by Das Troll » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Wasn't Vbulletin what OG totse used? I can't remember.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:45 pm

Yeah, after UBB Jeff Hunter migrated to vBulletin. I remember it actually being a HUGE process because UBB was heavily modified to work the way Totse needed it to. Unfortunately the version Totse used is well beyond EoL, otherwise I'd just pick up an old 4.2.5 license for peanuts

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:38 am

Dude's clearly a scammer. It changed from just being vBulletin Connect to suddenly being the mobile suite and wanting $300. For a USED license....

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:38 am
Dude's clearly a scammer. It changed from just being vBulletin Connect to suddenly being the mobile suite and wanting $300. For a USED license....
Colleges have free software if you have a college email account. Might check someplace like that for a license as well.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm

FWIW I am going to upgrade to vBulletin eventually, I'm just not going to rush into it half coked.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:42 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm
FWIW I am going to upgrade to vBulletin eventually, I'm just not going to rush into it half coked.
Sounds like a good idea. How is vbulletin different that phpbb3?
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:20 am

fuckreddit wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:42 pm
Helladamnleet wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm
Sounds like a good idea. How is vbulletin different that phpbb3?
The first major thing would be the front page and BBS running on one software. Hot topics would work, pages would be more integrated, there's an actual article system, I could use the archived Totse vBulletin theme and make this place look like a 1:1 clone of Totse.

Being a pay-to-use product, the technical support is much better than the community driven support offered by phpBB.

Another plus is that it has the vBulletin Mobile Suite which has built in app support, and even has a feature that lets you design your own site branded app.

All in all, vBulletin is every feature we have now and more built into one out of the box experience. I can't even upgrade phpBB regularly because 2/3rds of the time it breaks one of the plugins.

Honestly, now that there's more regular posters, I'm getting ready to make the switch.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:11 am

oooooh im ready :)

how long would it take? Like does the website go down?
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Still think you should set up a BAT account so BRAVE users can set up a tip system. No need to take the entire financial burden onto yourself.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:19 am

^ It still only costs like $24/year to keep the site online. Maybe in the future if I NEED the help, but for now....

I have looked more into it and it seems like it's based on Chromium
fuckreddit wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:11 am
oooooh im ready :)

how long would it take? Like does the website go down?
Well, it will take me a day or two to finish once I start, but my PLAN is to do it all in the background like Jeff and not even let you guys see it until it's already been installed and synced.