I stopped reading 2600, hacker quarterly

Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.
Das Troll
Registered

I stopped reading 2600, hacker quarterly

Post by Das Troll » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:16 pm

I've been reading this little magazine since I was in Jr. Highschool and I finally got tired of their half assed, factually wrong take on politics. They've always had a view on politics, most hackers do to an extent, but I've never seen them be more wrong until I read the opening article in the most recent volume. I guess it makes sense though, they don't even write the articles themselves anymore really. All they do is compile articles that are sent in, letters, and compile a few other things. It's a sad end to an era but I think it's time to move on.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: I stopped reading 2600, hacker quarterly

Post by Enigma » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:58 am

That's wild, they were around before OG Totse.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am

Helladamnleet wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:58 am
That's wild, they were around before OG Totse.
Yep, the 80s if I remember correctly. They've always sort of had an anarchist, teenaged view on politics. A "down with the system" type punk view I guess. But now their view matches whatever the main stream media tells them. Their long time stance of "information was meant to be free" pretty much got thrown out the window because fake news from both sides is causing people to do dumb shit. It's no longer sunlight being the best sterilant, it's we have to hide certain information so people don't see it and do something dumb. What that information is, seems to be up to them and mega corporations.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:49 pm

It's sad that in the day and age of limitless information people still bend over backwards for publishers.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:55 pm

heh they printed my letter in most recent 2600. I had to get it, for posterity. I'll post it later on. They heavily edited my letter and even then they didn't address but one or two of my points. Fucking sell outs. It's all hate speech this and censor that. Hate speech isn't illegal and who gets to decide what to censor? Mind you these are and were the same people that try and justify illegal shit like hacking.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:50 am

Too bad there's no way to contact remaining subscribers and be like "Hey, if you want an uncensored experience come to New Totse"

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:50 am
Too bad there's no way to contact remaining subscribers and be like "Hey, if you want an uncensored experience come to New Totse"
The sad part is they're so deaf and dumb to criticism that they even acknowledged the editorial they wrote in other emails and how it got a lot of blow back. Their response "even if we lose all of our subscribers we will stick to our convictions". Like read the room guys. If you have long time readers and subscribers telling you that you've changed for the worse, then perhaps you should at the very least stop with the politics.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:40 pm

Yeah I feel it. I got denied entry into a group because one of the rules was straight up "No Trump supporters. Biden content okay"