Hotter than the human body can handle: Pakistan city broils in world’s highest temperatures

Current events discussion and links to stuff that's happening right now. Who needs CNN when you have totse?
Kheron
Registered

Hotter than the human body can handle: Pakistan city broils in world’s highest temperatures

Post by Kheron » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Damn. This is crazy. Roads melting in Australia a year or 2 ago, bigger and more frequent wildfires, worsening droughts, and now places are literally becoming too hot for your body to regulate temperature.

"Wet bulb thermometer readings are significantly lower than the more familiar dry bulb readings, which do not take humidity into account. Researchers say that at a wet bulb reading of 35C, the body can no longer cool itself by sweating and such a temperature can be fatal in a few hours, even to the fittest people."

What's worse, we're heating up quicker than expected. This wasn't expected to happen for a few decades, still.

"Mr Matthews and colleagues last year analysed global weather station data and found that Jacobabad and Ras al Khaimah, north east of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, have both temporarily crossed the deadly threshold. The milestone had been surpassed decades ahead of predictions from climate change models."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... s-highest/

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Hotter than the human body can handle: Pakistan city broils in world’s highest temperatures

Post by Enigma » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:18 pm

It's crazy that 95oF would be considered fatal. I should be dead multiple times over

That being said, we are breaking heat records daily this year.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Kheron
Registered

Re: Hotter than the human body can handle: Pakistan city broils in world’s highest temperatures

Post by Kheron » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:23 pm

I mostly just skimmed so idk if the article mentioned what humidity % that is at, because it stresses that it being a wet bulb/humid temp reading matters.

So it's like, temp + humidity = inability to cool via sweating or some shit, so we slowly boil alive? I think?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:59 am

I figured it out: It's because a wet bulb is literally a thermometer with a wet probe, so it's closer to what we'd be feeling temp was after sweat.
:weed: [IP: logged]