Ordered a nice camcorder

This area is for discussing any technology that creates moving pictures. Topics in the past have covered favorite avant garde films, old TV sitcoms, animation, current trash TV, TV news, making movies, home brew video, video equipment, and multimedia.
Enigma
Site Admin

thumbs up Ordered a nice camcorder

Post by Enigma » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 am

Not super modern, but can do full 1080p, and has an advertised battery life of 110 minutes (that's the consistent number amongst owners). I ordered a lapel mic too on a whim to use with my phone to record audio, then realized the camera will have a MIC in port, and upon reading the manual a little discovered it actually has a lot of neat features for enthusiast level recording. I'm super pumped to up my video game a little.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Ordered a nice camcorder

Post by Enigma » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:48 pm

So upon further inspection this one actually doesn't have a MIC in because it was during Sony's attempts at making everything 100% proprietary. That's okay though because I already planned on just using a digital audio recorder.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:03 am

Why did you order a camcorder if a phone does pretty much everything? I don't know a lot about video equipment to be honest.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:03 am

The lens in camcorders is better, notably offering a much deeper zoom. There's also the benefit of having a dedicated video device, night vision, higher frame rate, potential to shoot longer video, usually higher resolution.

Don't get me wrong, cell phones are great, and have the benefit of already being in your pocket, usually have acceptable resolution, are easy to use, can edit the video right there on the device, et cetera.

Note: I got into it with my wife mid post so I probably forgot about 80% of the reason