Show and tell

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

Show and tell

Post by Das Troll » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:55 pm

This is my rad commodore 64 set up.
1.jpg
1.jpg (191.37 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Had to crop out a bit for security purposes. Most of what you see is original hardware. The Okidata 120 dot matrix printer is my newest addition to the set up. As you can see, I'm very partial to the old TSR Dungeons and Dragons gold box games in all of their 5'4 glory. I don't need to get it on original disk, but I do it anyway. The monitor is an original C64 monitor that I got at a retro tech con. The guy who was selling it couldn't have been any younger than 60 and was just ready to get the fuck out of there, 10 dollars and he didn't know if it worked. Turned out it did.

Off to the right you will see the original 1541 5'4 floppy disk drives. The white one on the top is from the Euro version of the C64, the Vic - 20. They both are the same thing, just one is a European release. Why do I have 2 some may as? Well that's how you used to have to copy disks since the C64 has no internal storage space.
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
This little sucker is called the SD2IEC. It basically allows you to use a microSD as a hard drive so you don't need the 1541s. I use this for the bulk of my C64 storage. Even the smallest microSD can pretty much hold every bit of C64 software out. The shitty part is, this particular device only works with about 70% of the C64 software out. There is another device called the Ultimate II. This one works with all or almost all C64 software, but it also has fallen pray to component shortage. Good luck finding one.
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (65.44 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
This is just a cloth cover I got off of Etsy that I thought was pretty cool.
4.jpeg
4.jpeg (71.62 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
This is the WiiModem that allows you to connect your C64 to an internet that didn't really exist when this first came out. It runs off your home WiFi. Sadly though the hardware limitations makes it so you can't do really very much higher than 9600 BPS. I've heard of people pushing it to 33.3 kbps, but I don't see why. All you will be doing is connecting to old BBS software that's still running, most of which can't send any higher than 1200 BPS. There are newer BBS software packs that you can just connect through using your main computer, but what fun would that be?

There are a few things I don't have, one of them being the tape deck. I fucking hated tape decks so I have no desire to get one. There are other things I'd like to get just to compete my collection, like a 1200 BPS phone modem and the 1581 3 1/2 disk drive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_1581 . Just thought I'd write something.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Show and tell

Post by Enigma » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:30 am

Jelly. I used to have almost the same setup minus the printer but abandoned it in 2000ish because as a kid I thought it would get increasingly useless over time.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Show and tell

Post by Das Troll » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:40 am

Shame, retro tech is hot right now, especially the C64. I just found out that they're putting out a Amiga 500 mini in a month or so that I plan on picking up.