Doctor Sleep (The Shining sequel)

Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.
Enigma
Site Admin

Doctor Sleep (The Shining sequel)

Post by Enigma » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 am

Okay, so I'm about 15% of the way into it so far, and like most Stephen King books it's just starting to get into the meat of the story, but so far they've re-introduced Danny (Dan) Torrance and have painted a picture of the struggles he's having with alcohol and depression..... The same struggles his father Jack Torrance felt leading up to becoming the caretaker for 'The Overlook'.

My first gripe is this: The spend the first chapter or two with Danny as an 8 year old then abruptly age him up to an unhappy adult. I'd have liked to see more of Danny as a child learning more about his powers.

I'd say that's my only real complaint at the moment being so little of the way into the book, and I'm certainly trying to keep in mind King books have a habit of starting off super slow then going from 0-100 in the last act. Beyond that it's a real page turner.

Here's a link to the epub version: https://www.z-epub.com/book/3165
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Doctor Sleep (The Shining sequel)

Post by Das Troll » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:07 am

Watch the movie after. It's actually pretty decent.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:45 am

I def want to. I've seen the original Shining a few times, and the remake at least once, but 'Dr Sleep' has piqued my interest enough that seeing the movie would be a treat. I hear it's one King was more involved in so it's closer to the book.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:16 pm

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through it so far, and it's starting to pick up real steam (pun not intended), and doing that thing Stephen King is so good at doing where it's obvious what's going to happen but it's not clear how it's going to happen yet. It's starting to bring the 3 different plots together, and even did a bigger overall tie-in with 'The Shining'.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:06 pm

So I finished the book, and the way they brought everything together was pretty good. I knew Dan and Abra would end up being related, but wasn't expecting it to be from the mom's side, nor was I honestly expecting him to survive, and the slight twist of having Jack help push Rose the Hat off the ledge in the end was really unexpected.

As always with Stephen King books I want to watch the movie, but feel like it will be spoiled because of the slew of changes. On one hand I want to see the return to the Overlook, but on the other hand I just can't with some of the plot changes they end up making.

Anyway, King did leave a loose thread that could manifest into another book by having some of The True Knot venture off, meaning they didn't kill ALL of them. I'd read a 3rd book.