How Counter Top Ice Machines Work

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Enigma
Site Admin

How Counter Top Ice Machines Work

Post by Enigma » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:01 pm

So if you're like me, you're probably wondering how the water in the reservoir doesn't freeze, and the answer is simple: The ice isn't kept cold. It's a continuous freeze/thaw cycle where the oldest ice melts back into the reservoir and is later pumped back into the ice making tray for later.

As for how it makes the ice so fast: It's just letting it form on the exposed coil.

Would I recommend one? If you're a big ice user like me, sure, why not? I picked mine up for like $100, so while I do need to go through a ton of ice (about 200lbs) before it will pay for itself I'm more or less satisfied.
:weed: [IP: logged]