Mag Torch Repair

Do It Yourself! Advice on how to make beer, plant a garden, use power tools, record music, and build things yourself.
Enigma
Site Admin

Mag Torch Repair

Post by Enigma » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:46 am

After a few years of regular use my MagTorch brand blowtorch was no longer striking, so I decided to take it apart and fix it. I have the model 531 torch, and on this model it's only necessary to remove the metal portion, and the handle part can stay assembled (I took it apart and there's just more potential to hurt the mechanisms by disassembling the unit).

After the sleeve is removed, you will see a copper tube with the striker wire running along side one end, and a temperature controlled regulator along the other end. Carefully remove the striker wire, while being careful to leave it in the sleeve. Once the wire is removed, you can now clean the copper with a medium grit sandpaper. Go ahead and clean the exposed end of the striker wire as well.

Reassemble, and adjust the wire's position as needed so it arcs with the copper tube, and the torch should light much easier and run much cleaner.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Cooking with Zyklon B

Re: Mag Torch Repair

Post by Cooking with Zyklon B » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:53 am

Over the years of tinkering with all my various torches/lighter I've gotten proficient enough at fixing firemakers to where I can fancifully call myself a torch technician.
Those cheap BBQ lighters with the elongated nozzles are great sources of frankenstein parts- IE piezo replacements.
More often then not I can figure out whats wrong with your run of the mill Eagle brand torches just by looking at it, teardowns for confirmation.

In my experience if your clicker is kaput the casing is cracked so the little 'T' bar doesnt have the tension required to reset in the little nook.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Mag Torch Repair

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:51 am

Oh, for sure. The clickers on the grill lighters always have 6 inch wires on them, so they'll replace most torch strikers. I've only had two clickers actually be broken, but I've had the wires break off a few times.
:weed: [IP: logged]