Spring is coming, time for mushroom hunting

Favorite foods, restaurants, and cooking tips. Booze, legal smokeables, things you put in your mouth. ;)
Das Troll
Registered

Spring is coming, time for mushroom hunting

Post by Das Troll » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:16 am

Remember kids, the edible NON psychedelic mushroom is going to be spawning in the forest areas. They are rather hard to find and are easy to identify. Check your state and month to find out when and where they spawn. While they're easy to find, they do have poisonous fakes but they're easy enough to find.

Many cooks like to add these to fancy meals but I grew up in the redneck parts of the country and we just did it like this. They turn out wonderful.

1. Take your mushrooms and split them in half. Often times spiders and bugs like to make homes in the hollows of the mushroom stalks and holes. Shake those suckers out and then soak them in water over night.

2. Once the mushrooms have taken on the water and you've washed the bugs and dirt off, crack some eggs and whisk the shit out of the eggs. set that shit aside.

3. You can either buy seasoned bread crumbs from the store or crush a bunch of crackers up and season the cracker dust. Put this shit in a bowl off to the side. You can also use flour, salt, and pepper.

4. Dunk the mushroom halves in the egg and then drop them in the cracker/flour mix. Make sure it's nice and covered.

5. Get a pan and put some salted butter in it and heat that shit up. Use a lot of butter, don't skimp. Fry those fuckers in butter until the outsides are crispy.

6. Enjoy.
Attachments
morel.jpg
morel.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 933 times

Helladamnleet
Site Admin

Re: Spring is coming, time for mushroom hunting

Post by Helladamnleet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:26 am

Awesome advice, and you are right, spring is coming soon. I'd say 2-4 more weeks of potential snow then we're in the clear. Hell, if the forecast can be believed the South East Minnesota area will be above freezing consistently within the next 3 weeks. That's 24/7 snow/ice melt.

Can't wait to drive my Passat again :D
[IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:40 pm

I should have said cut them vertically on number 1. I guess you could cut them horizontally but you'd still have the problem of not being able to see inside the cap for bugs.

Oh and don't be worried if they shrink up real bad. Once you get them cooked they will lose a ton of volume.

Helladamnleet
Site Admin

Post by Helladamnleet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:52 pm

I should take the time to get morels this year.
[IP: logged]