Buon Vino mini jet filter/pump review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buon Vino mini jet filter/pump review

Finally broke down and decided to up my wine making game by buying a filter pump for my wine. Here are a few things I've come across while filtering. I will leave the specifics of it's use out and talk about other parts of it.

Pump Filters: The pump has 3 different filter grades, grade 1, 2, and 3. Filter grade 1 is the most porous and grabs all the big stuff. This grade is mostly used for fruit wines that have sizable chunks that need to be filtered. Grade 2 is the finishing grade, it clarifies the wine. Grade 3 is the one you use to finally make it as clear as possible. Now the big problem I've seen on Amazon is people complaining that it leaks. My guess is they used the wrong filter or they think the filter is going to catch chunks instead of particulates. Your filters will clog fast if that's the case and considering how fast they clog anyway, no wonder it leaks.

Noise: It has a low moan to it that isn't all that bad. If you racked most of the slurry off of your wine, as you should, then the pump wont be going very long. It pulls quite a bit of liquid every minute if your filters are clogged to fuck and back with chunks of banana or some shit.

End Product: Looks good, I could run it through grade 3 of the filter but I've always been a lazy wine maker. Is it worth 230 dollars for filters and pump at this point? Ehh that's up to you.

Other Uses: This is where I think it makes up for the price. If you're savvy enough, you can a bottling system out of the pump by moving the pump hose from the filters and into a a branching ball valve system that will allow you to fill up 4 or more bottles at a time. Transferring wine from a 6 gallon carboy to a 1 gallon jug just so you're able to pour it into a 750ml bottle is a pain the ass. Why do that when you can fill a tank up with the pump that's connected to a T joint that distributes the wine to 4 or more bottles at a time? This is where the pump really becomes "worth it".

tl;dr Follow the directions, watch a youtube how to video or two, don't be a retard and the Buon Vino mini jet is a great little toy.

I didn't even know they made such a thing, but it makes sense.
    [IP: LOGGED]

Comment

I should have put up a video of it.

Comment

Update: I've expected too much out of this little filter. Particulates are not the same as slurry. My solution was to do a basic gravity racking first and then use the filter. You can still use the electric pump on the filter to do a basic racking up the wine, but using a filter is out of the question. It sprayed all over my kitchen and when I mean all over I mean on my face, the walls, the floor and the ceiling.

Comment

Hot Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

New Totse Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 224   Posts: 819   Members: 63   Active Members: 7
        Welcome to our newest member, Phoenix.
        Working...
        X