Off-grid communications for the coming insurrection/zombie apocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-grid communications for the coming insurrection/zombie apocalypse

While trying to find what actually interests me these days I've found myself diving down a rabbit-hole of pretty neat, IP-over-radio projects. Most use fairly cheap ESP32s or similar microcontrollers for LoRA.

Consider a peaceful protest, under an authoritarian government and controlled tv/radio networks that responds with localised internet/mobile network shutdowns or just a major earthquake or other disaster that takes out power; How could people keep informed or organise to get help where it's needed?

This one guy's built an interesting ultra-low-bandwidth/high-latency network stack, Reticulum, for secure mesh networks. There's a mobile app, Sideband, that connects to a radio using bluetooth/USB and allows text chat with end-to-end encryption over a meshnet of radio/internet Reticulum nodes. If you're unreachable, messages are re-transmitted later. You can also send a broadcast message.
    Albeit, with a 15 minute login, he managed SSH over a 15 mile radio link with two of these RNodes
    https://unsigned.io/rnode/

https://unsigned.io/guides/2022_03_2...over-lora.html

There's also Meshtastic, with similar encrypted text chat over LoRA meshnet. What could be especially fun to play around with is using it with a self-hosted ATAK or CIV ATAK server (a "situational awareness tool for tactical engagements").
    ATAK looks simple enough to add GPS trackers, tag a location with an rstp camera stream (internet needed to watch this, not just radio), or people even seem to use it with drones (military and toys) for waypoints/camera footage and guidance.
    ATAK+Meshtastic video

Armachat's pretty cool too, for a pure chat device with built-in keyboard.

Is there any similar tech that peaked some interest for you recently? Not necessarily radio, anything security/privacy/crypto.
    Last edited by velc; 01-30-2023, 04:03 AM.

FASCINATING. The idea of IP over radio has always been very interesting to me because of the eventuality of the world going to shit.
    [IP: LOGGED]

Comment

It's reassuring and a little concerning that open source tools for it seem to have come a really long way quite recently, but at least it'll be there when NK sends nukes for Christmas.

Comment

I think part of it is the fascination with off-the-grid living, but I've always tried to keep up on the tech because if shit ever hits the fan I think re-creating the internet is a key part of starting a civilization.

Good to know I'm not stuck using dial up over CB radio

Comment

I got into ham because of my belief that one day all of this will go to shit and those with the right knowledge will be the ones that survive.

Comment

That's the same reason I want to get into HAM. The only downfall is it depends on other people being into HAM

Comment

Do you have any HAM gear/HAM License (if required in your country)?

Comment

Nah, I have nowhere to store that kind of shit, which is unfortunate because I'd like to have it.

Hell, if I had it my way I'd have the HAM radio, a CB home station, a CB in every vehicle, and a hand held HAM in an emergency kit in every trunk

Comment

I picked up this little Greaval branded Baofeng UV-5R 3rd gen a couple weeks ago from Amazon, two 2200mah batteries and full accessory set, three dual band antennas, and it's the old style with full tx on any band it can tune before they changed them to appease the FCC. $48 for everything and I LOVE it. And this is coming from a guy who's first handheld was an IC-T7H then an XTS3000. It's nothing extravagant, but for the price it's awesome, and I've seen many people work AMSATs and ISS with them using the proper antenna like an Arrow 2. I've been a ham since 2000 but lately I've really been thinking about getting my GMRS license and starting my own repeater here in town. The only GMRS repeater we've got right now is closed access and owned by a dickhead.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MomentaryLapseOfReason; 05-21-2023, 06:33 AM.
                  ​​​​​​S​​​​​​unshine makes the Shibas grow.

Comment

GMRS is really where it's at though, $35 for the license and no test required. The hardware is more locked down and you're not free to experiment like with ham, but it's great for general communication. A lot cheaper to get started as well. I normally suggest most people to start with GMRS to get their feet wet, then if they really like it and want to get more into the deeper side of things it's not hard at all to get your basic Tech class ham license. Just watch out for the sad hams, they ruin the hobby for everyone else with their bad/weird attitudes and that's what drove me away as a kid.
                    ​​​​​​S​​​​​​unshine makes the Shibas grow.

Comment

Hot Topics

Collapse

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

New Totse Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 219   Posts: 794   Members: 62   Active Members: 8
                    Welcome to our newest member, chris85.
                    Working...
                    X