About
Community
News of the Temple
Community Bulletin Board
Chat
Art
Carnality
Entertainment
Science
Society
Technology
bbs | search | rss | faq | about | register
digg | del.icio.us | sphere | google

Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Add Tyrant to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-21, 05:58
Tyrant Tyrant is offline
Regular
 
the Vinland
Default

Even though you do not believe in a supreme power, do you still do things related to more than what is purely elemental, like:<OL TYPE=1>

<LI>philosophize?

<LI>study psychoanalysis? (sub- and unconscious processes)

<LI>meditate?</OL>

[This message has been edited by Tyrant (edited 02-21-2004).]
  #2   Add Hexadecimal to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-21, 08:12
Hexadecimal Hexadecimal is offline
Regular
 
Rockford, IL
Default

Philosophy...why not? It's mostly for personal entertainment rather than a lifeset that you must adhere to...to be honest, I have no philosophy that I live life by, I just read about them to get various peoples' perspectives on life. Nice to know how people view their lives, and ways to improve their lives.

Psychoanalysis and psychology, hell yeah I'm interested in it. Trying to determine the cause of various effects within our own species' mind is the pinnacle of self-understanding. Plus, neurology is starting to back up a great deal of the common themes in psychology and psychoanalytical practices.

What kind of meditation do you ask about? There are people who consider it balancing the spirit, others who simply call relaxing and going brain dead a few hours a meditative state. Personally, I relax myself by staring at a wall. My muscles go limp and my mind goes blank, usually for a couple hours a day. If complete relaxation and emptiness of thought is what you consider meditation, then yes, I meditate. There's no spiritual side to it though, atleast for maself.
  #3   Add jm5k to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-21, 21:26
jm5k jm5k is offline
Regular
 
Edelstein Illinois USA Send a message via ICQ to jm5k
Default

All of these do have real connections with the real world. The mind is a wonderfull thing and so many good things can be done with it like analyzing life and existance and how we should act. Just because there is no god doesn't mean there is no point.

[This message has been edited by jm5k (edited 02-21-2004).]
  #4   Add praisejahmoreherb to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-22, 23:29
praisejahmoreherb praisejahmoreherb is offline
Regular
 
monroe, nc, usa
Default

I consider myself an agnostic, but some refer to me as a "weak atheist." That being said, yes, I do all of those things. Even though I am not sure if God exists or not, and even though I don't believe in an afterlife, I am still alive and live in this world like everyone else. I study many different philosophies, like the works of Nietzche(sp?), Thoreau, Confuscious, but I find the philosophy of Buddha to be most relevent to me. I'm not a Buddhist, I just follow Buddhist ethics and practices(to the best of my ability). I don't believe that Buddha was any kind of god, merely a philosopher, and I also don't believe in reincarnation or nirvana. Psychoanalysis and psychology, yes, so far I've taken 3 psych classes and have read almost all my mom's old psych books(who is a psychologist). I find it very interesting how the mind works and apply what I learn to daily life and my beliefs. Meditation, of course, that would go along with Buddhism. I just focus on my breathing until my mind is clear, then I can finally think without any of the interferences or stresses of my daily life. I hope this answers your question about atheists, or at least about me.
  #5   Add SurahAhriman to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-23, 05:02
SurahAhriman SurahAhriman is offline
Regular
 
Northfield, NJ, USA
Default

I do philosophize alot, but I may stop. I hit a major impasse, and it's just fucking with me. Philosophy has alot of the same problems as religion, though on a greatly reduced scale. Namely, that it's mostly conjecture.

Psychoanalysis- Somewhat. It's interesting, but not a major topic for me.

Meditation- Yeah. I meditate, but not to attain enlightenment. More to focus myself. Though I do talk about my chi alot.
  #6   Add Cattapillar to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-24, 14:17
Cattapillar Cattapillar is offline
Regular
 
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
Default

simply put, no...well i guess sometimes i philosophize

[This message has been edited by Cattapillar (edited 02-24-2004).]
  #7   Add themanwhovsthetree to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-24, 18:50
themanwhovsthetree themanwhovsthetree is offline
Regular
 
Default

Yes, philosophy is a huge part of my life. It is almost a form of religion, but not quite.....dammit now im confused.
Closed Thread


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54.


 

 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Advertise | Art | Carnality | Community | Contact Us | Copyright Policy | Entertainment | FAQ
Link to totse.com | Science | Search | Society | Submissions | Technology
Hot Topics
Filling a chicks uterus with concrete.
hiding a gun in a car?
Neodymium Magnets and Tags
Working at a video store - any bad ideas?
Using a fake ID in Vegas
i have revenge dripping from teeth
Causing a minister misery!
Where is everyone?
 
Sponsored Links
 
Ads presented by the
AdBrite Ad Network

 

 

TSHIRT HELL T-SHIRTS