About
Community
News of the Temple
Community Bulletin Board
Chat
Art
Carnality
Entertainment
Science
Society
Technology
bbs | search | rss | faq | about | register
digg | del.icio.us | sphere | google

Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Add faithdefend to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 08:54
faithdefend faithdefend is offline
Regular
 
San Antonio, Tx, USA
Default

I want somebody to prove to me that God does not exist.
  #2   Add The_Rabbi to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 09:12
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Phoenix, AZ Send a message via AIM to The_Rabbi
Default

You know that they're going to ask you to prove that he does, right?

There's no way for either side to prove their case.
  #3   Add noraa_boy to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 09:28
noraa_boy noraa_boy is offline
Regular
 
aka just.landed
Default

faithdefend, the burden of proof is on the person saying that a god exists.

It is ridiculous to ask someone to do what you just asked. You might as well have asked for someone to prove that invisible pink unicorns do not exist.

However, if you weren't trying to be clever and I have misunderstood you, I do apologise.
  #4   Add The_Rabbi to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 10:09
The_Rabbi The_Rabbi is offline
Regular
 
Phoenix, AZ Send a message via AIM to The_Rabbi
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noraa_boy:

faithdefend, the burden of proof is on the person saying that a god exists.
The burder of proof is on anyone claiming anything.

Quote:
quote:It is ridiculous to ask someone to do what you just asked.
No, it's not.

Quote:
quote: You might as well have asked for someone to prove that invisible pink unicorns do not exist.
How cliched. Yet, still very valid.

But, then again, what would you do if someone asked you to prove that invisible pink unicorns DID exist?

Either way, you'd have no conclusive proof, no matter which side you take.

Them's the breaks with our mental limitations. God's funny like that.

  #5   Add noraa_boy to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 10:58
noraa_boy noraa_boy is offline
Regular
 
aka just.landed
Default

The_Rabbi:

The burder of proof is on anyone claiming anything.

Thank you, Rabbi Obvious. There's no need to nitpick.

No, it's not.(ridiculous)

Fair enough. I shouldn't put people down like that. I of course am not immune to saying ridiculous stuff as well(by my standards, anyway).

But, then again, what would you do if someone asked you to prove that invisible pink unicorns DID exist?

If I did indeed think that invisible pink unicorns exist and I was trying to prove their existence to you, I would say that I won't because I can't. I wouldn't however, ask you to disprove their existence as an arguement for their existence. I think this should apply to theists as well.

I agree that the existence of a god can't be proven either way, so I'm sticking with the agnostic position of "I don't know". In that sense, what faithdefend asked may have been ridiculous, for it is impossible to prove either assertion(like you said), right?

If I have totally misunderstood the intent of this thread, just ignore me.

[This message has been edited by noraa_boy (edited 01-21-2004).]
  #6   Add SEN D-F to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 11:30
SEN D-F SEN D-F is offline
Regular
 
SomeEverydayNobody
Default

Im sorry, but noraa is right. It is a rediculous question.

You can't prove something doesn't exist. If something doesn't exist it doesn't exist, so there will be no facts that point towards or away from it. The only proof of something not existing is a complete lack of any proof towards it existing.

Technically, God has already been proven to not exist. There is no indication of him existing in our lives, therefore he does not exist. There is nothing that you can touch, hear, look at, taste or smell that will in any way show the slightest amount of proof towards God existing.

Now, I don't believe that God has been proven to not exist, because that really can't be true unless we understood the origin of everything in the universe. Im just trying to say that you can't prove that something doesn't exist. 'Proof' towards soemthings non-existance is illogical. Like I said, the only 'proof' would be the lack of any proof.
  #7   Add LostCause to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 11:31
LostCause LostCause is offline
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default

There's no proof either way.

It's something you have to decide for yourself based on your "gut" instinct.

Cheers,

Lost
  #8   Add faithdefend to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 16:36
faithdefend faithdefend is offline
Regular
 
San Antonio, Tx, USA
Default

I do not believe that belief in God or against God is just a "gut feeling". Christianity is not "blind faith", I can back up my Christian worldview, (read some of my posting for a glimpse), all I am challenging people to do is to explain to me there atheistic, skeptic, agnostic, ect, worldview.
  #9   Add Inside_Voices to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 20:18
Inside_Voices Inside_Voices is offline
Regular
 
Bielefeld Germany
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by faithdefend:

I do not believe that belief in God or against God is just a "gut feeling". Christianity is not "blind faith", I can back up my Christian worldview, (read some of my posting for a glimpse), all I am challenging people to do is to explain to me there atheistic, skeptic, agnostic, ect, worldview.
You can't back up Christianity with [i]any[\i] support. The same goes for all religions...it's like what Lost said: gut feeling.

  #10   Add noraa_boy to your ignore list  
Old 2004-01-21, 20:36
noraa_boy noraa_boy is offline
Regular
 
aka just.landed
Default

Actually, even though Christianity cannot be proven true, there are arguments for it to sway your gut feelings. I think that counts as support.

And just to answer faithdefend's challenge - I am agnostic because my part in the Christian god's(or any diety's) plan is apparently not important enough to warrant a personal visit or a sign. I would like at least a talking burning bush and I would give my arms and legs for what Gideon got in the bible. Heck, I'd go to hell to make sure that there really is a god.

[This message has been edited by noraa_boy (edited 01-21-2004).]
Closed Thread


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01.


 

 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Advertise | Art | Carnality | Community | Contact Us | Copyright Policy | Entertainment | FAQ
Link to totse.com | Science | Search | Society | Submissions | Technology
Hot Topics
The great films
Harsh Times
Let the right one in
Do NOT watch the movie Burn After Reading
Notorious
Sicko
WW2 movies from the other side
Disturbing as oppose to Disgusting
 
Sponsored Links
 
Ads presented by the
AdBrite Ad Network

 
Map of the World
Map of the World Art Print
Elizabeth, Mary
Buy at AllPosters.com

 

TSHIRT HELL T-SHIRTS