About
Community
News of the Temple
Community Bulletin Board
Chat
Art
Carnality
Entertainment
Science
Society
Technology
bbs | search | rss | faq | about | register
digg | del.icio.us | sphere | google

Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Add zorro420 to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-11, 21:07
zorro420 zorro420 is offline
Regular
 
Seattle, WA, USA
Default

I'm sick of people telling me to respect their beliefs, or to respect the beliefs of others.

Now, I am not prejudicial against your beliefs or those of others. Quite the opposite; I am fully open-minded, as I am of all theories.

However, I do not give my respect blindly, to beliefs or anything else. In my mind, respect must be earned or it is not truly respect.

The beliefs that I am told to respect have no merit. While I give them equal chance, they do not earn my respect. I will treat them as they merit: as silly stories with far too great an impact on society.

This is not an act of disrespect; it is merely a legitemate lack of respect. After all, you don't usually have a lot of respect for the crackhead spouting gibberish in the back-alley...
  #2   Add LostCause to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-11, 21:41
LostCause LostCause is offline
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default

There are certain beliefs that I believe have absolutely no merit, but I still respect them because some people really find a lot of solace in them and anything that makes people feel good, I think, deserves at least the respect of my silence.

Cheers,

Lost
  #3   Add blackheartqueen to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-11, 21:50
blackheartqueen blackheartqueen is offline
Regular
 
Pensacola, FL
Default

I think that if everyone respected everyone elses beliefs, there would be a lot less problems in the world. Like, if early Christians had more respect for the beliefs of nonChristians, the crusades never would have happened. Like everyone having a lack of respect for Islam, a lot of people or prejudiced of other people because of their religion or other silly little things. I believe that religions are silly and a waste of time, but I do respect a lot of people who are very religious. It is truly sad though that some religions are forced on the minds of young children and instilled in their minds before they have had a chance to establish their own beliefs, especially when those religions insist on the fact that the people who follow that religion are the only people who have a valid religious belief and that the rest are worshipping "false gods" or "satan". I say that if you took the church out of christianity, it would be a very good belief system. For some.
  #4   Add zorro420 to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-11, 22:09
zorro420 zorro420 is offline
Regular
 
Seattle, WA, USA
Default

I respect the people who hold the beliefs (and pity them a little). I simply do not respect the beliefs themselves.

I will admit, for some people they do offer comfort. Personally, I'd rather know the bitter truth than be wrapped in warm, fuzzy lies.
  #5   Add Faithless to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-11, 22:11
Faithless Faithless is offline
Regular
 
Default

I remember reading or hearing about this aid worker in some African backwater who came from the relativist "there is no wrong beliefs, all opinions are valid, etc".

That all changed when she saw a female circumcision first hand.

Some beliefs are more fucked up than others.

blackheartqueen, the crusades were defensive wars against a disunited enemy, not simply 'a matter of lack of respect'.

You do know that there are different types of Christians, for example Anglicans recognise the other big religions as acceptable counterparts that lead to God. Some of the protestant sects have indeed taken the 'church' as you put it out of Christianity and concentrate on good works among the poor and untermenschens.
  #6   Add LostCause to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-12, 06:47
LostCause LostCause is offline
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zorro420:

I respect the people who hold the beliefs (and pity them a little). I simply do not respect the beliefs themselves.

I will admit, for some people they do offer comfort. Personally, I'd rather know the bitter truth than be wrapped in warm, fuzzy lies.
Well, that's you, isn't it.

Cheers,

Lost

  #7   Add Froonhed to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-12, 13:36
Froonhed Froonhed is offline
Regular
 
Hamilton, New Zealand
Default

zorro420, I have nothing to add to this but would just like to mention that I agree with you wholeheartedly and like the way you think, except for respecting the people who hold the beliefs, as I don't respect belief at all, I respect analysis of information.
  #8   Add Kiminator to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-12, 14:22
Kiminator Kiminator is offline
Regular
 
stockholm sweden
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zorro420:

I'm sick of people telling me to respect their beliefs, or to respect the beliefs of others.

Now, I am not prejudicial against your beliefs or those of others. Quite the opposite; I am fully open-minded, as I am of all theories.

However, I do not give my respect blindly, to beliefs or anything else. In my mind, respect must be earned or it is not truly respect.

The beliefs that I am told to respect have no merit. While I give them equal chance, they do not earn my respect. I will treat them as they merit: as silly stories with far too great an impact on society.

This is not an act of disrespect; it is merely a legitemate lack of respect. After all, you don't usually have a lot of respect for the crackhead spouting gibberish in the back-alley...
Wonderfull!

i couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

//Do'h!!!//

  #9   Add great glavin to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-13, 19:38
great glavin great glavin is offline
Regular
 
the state of paranoia
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blackheartqueen:

Like, if early Christians had more respect for the beliefs of nonChristians, the crusades never would have happened.
or if the non christians had more respect for christians they wouldnt have gone Tony Soprano on their asses.... hehehehe
  #10   Add Keltoiberserker to your ignore list  
Old 2004-02-13, 22:17
Keltoiberserker Keltoiberserker is offline
Regular
 
Danbury CT USA
Default

non-christians did have respect for christians. People like St.Augustine (women hater) perverted the words of Jesus (pacifist who actually had "unclean" women in his circle).

Pagan and Proud
Closed Thread


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06.


 

 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Advertise | Art | Carnality | Community | Contact Us | Copyright Policy | Entertainment | FAQ
Link to totse.com | Science | Search | Society | Submissions | Technology
Hot Topics
The great films
Harsh Times
Let the right one in
Do NOT watch the movie Burn After Reading
Notorious
Sicko
WW2 movies from the other side
Disturbing as oppose to Disgusting
 
Sponsored Links
 
Ads presented by the
AdBrite Ad Network

 

 

TSHIRT HELL T-SHIRTS