|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about |
register
|
 |
 |
digg |
del.icio.us |
sphere |
google
|
 |
|
| My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged. |

2007-01-11, 09:02
|
|
|
In the past year I guess you could call me a "rebirthing christian."
I often consult to the bible now, in the past year or so, (New testament) when I'm going through a relapse (Cocaine recovery, proazak recoery, PTSD/anxiety disorders since I was 12) or feel one coming on.
It's a book that you can read without being overly religious or overly fanatical or "thumping" about; there's some good advice and perspective in it, I've found.
I come from a rough life, in a rough place with dreams of what it would be like to live in the suburbs either in jealousy or in wonder. I grew up in a place with a lot of hate and a lot of injustice (I'm not telling my whole life story so I won't say where) and a helluva lotta violence. By the time I was 6 i had half my teeth kicked out by a kid who was about 12 than me for a couple of bucks. 6 . years. old.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any favorite citations they liked to read or found offered them a good guidance in the New testament (international version) in particular, why and at what was going on in their lives at the time they read this.
Basically I'm looking for good passages to read, of anything, specific relation to my background or someone who's been in the same boat and found a particular thing they've read useful for them at that time.
[This message has been edited by Ckrimzon (edited 01-11-2007).]
|

2007-01-11, 09:18
|
|
Regular
|
|
Just passing 10000 posts.
|
|
i dont have a FAVORITE bible quote per se, so ill post the one that ive seen mentioned in a lot of films, songs and novels. i mean if they use it, its gotta have some sort of significance in their lives right?
*gets bible out*
psalm 23:4
Yea, though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
|

2007-01-11, 09:24
|
|
|
"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson
|

2007-01-11, 09:27
|
|
|
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mantikore:
i dont have a FAVORITE bible quote per se, so ill post the one that ive seen mentioned in a lot of films, songs and novels. i mean if they use it, its gotta have some sort of significance in their lives right?
*gets bible out*
psalm 23:4
Yea, though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
|
Ah I love that one, thanks for responding so fast!
A personal favorite of mine (well I have a lot of favorites, i guess I could rephrase that to; particular ones that stand out to me and make me smile) would be Matt 19:18:13;
"Let the little chidredn come to me and do not hinder them for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these"
It reminds me that the "kingdom of heaven" is open to those who are just beginning their quests through life, religion and their exploration of spirituality itself and that there should be no bias in the world to those who "start moving ahead" at whatever age.
That's my interpretation of it, anyway, or so it should be IMO of any religious text or decoding of one.
Anyone else?
|

2007-01-11, 22:05
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Wasilla, Alaska
|
|
My two faves are attributed to Jesus--"The kingdom of God is within you." Menaing that there is no literal heaven, and that we all share the ability to create our own heaven--or hell, for that matter.
Also--"All these things that I have done, ye shall do also." Meaning the Jesus realized that he was not unique. We are all born masters, but few of us manage to realize that mastery to any great extent.
|

2007-01-12, 02:22
|
|
|
I like all the "4:20"s because they seemingly have something to do with pot.
|

2007-01-12, 02:29
|
|
Regular
|
|
01
|
|
All of you should grow up; the bible was written and rewritten over and over to get to the most through-removing, oppressive mindset into it. People don't choose to be religious, they're coerced by conditioning.
|

2007-01-12, 09:14
|
|
Regular
|
|
Earth Earth Earth
|
|
ask and ye shal recieve
|

2007-01-12, 09:22
|
|
Regular
|
|
New York New York USA
|
|
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Prometheum:
All of you should grow up; the bible was written and rewritten over and over to get to the most through-removing, oppressive mindset into it. People don't choose to be religious, they're coerced by conditioning.
|
Fuck off, it wasn't your views on religion that was asked about. And by the way, the Bible may be a religious book, but everybody has their religious book, their own "Bible." If people find comfort in something, why is that a problem? So what if the Bible was written and rewritten? Should that stop us from reading it? Sure, you can argue that it's a book of fables, but, then again, I've heard of people who have taken lessons learned from works of fiction and incorporated said lessons into their own lives.
Anyway ... my favorite quote for some reason in Exodus - pretty much the first few pages of it.
|

2007-01-12, 11:44
|
|
|
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MisiuOni:
Fuck off, it wasn't your views on religion that was asked about. And by the way, the Bible may be a religious book, but everybody has their religious book, their own "Bible." If people find comfort in something, why is that a problem? So what if the Bible was written and rewritten? Should that stop us from reading it? Sure, you can argue that it's a book of fables, but, then again, I've heard of people who have taken lessons learned from works of fiction and incorporated said lessons into their own lives.
Anyway ... my favorite quote for some reason in Exodus - pretty much the first few pages of it.
|
I like Exodus 21:20-21
check it out sometime
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19.
|
|
 |

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Advertise | Art | Carnality | Community | Contact Us | Copyright Policy | Entertainment | FAQ
Link to totse.com | Science | Search | Society | Submissions | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|