About
Community
News of the Temple
Community Bulletin Board
Chat
Art
Carnality
Entertainment
Science
Society
Technology
bbs | search | rss | faq | about | register
digg | del.icio.us | sphere | google

Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Add psuedogunslinger to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 05:28
psuedogunslinger psuedogunslinger is offline
Regular
 
Oregon
Default

Who else is interested in this wonderful spiritual text? I'm not saying I necessarily agree with all of it or hinduism in general, but like the upanishads it is a very uplifting philosophy to meditate your life on.

Like the bible you have to regard the supernatural elements as metaphorical or you'll get really confused or contradicted.

It fits in with the theory that Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, etc has a piece of the answer. No one religion is right.
Reply With Quote
  #2   Add I_Like_Traffic_Lights to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 05:30
I_Like_Traffic_Lights I_Like_Traffic_Lights is offline
Regular
 
Default

I thought there would be a link to an e-text of the Bhagavad Gita in here.

Not sure why.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Add psuedogunslinger to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 05:42
psuedogunslinger psuedogunslinger is offline
Regular
 
Oregon
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by I_Like_Traffic_Lights:

I thought there would be a link to an e-text of the Bhagavad Gita in here.

Not sure why.


Oh shit sorry, here's one http://bhagavadgitaasitis.com/en

Stick with it because the first couple of chapters are kind of boring and repetitive. The good bits are mostly in the middle. I prefer Stephen Mitchells translation which get's rid of the erroneous material though, but that's because I find the original a bit too dry. I would suggest that version if anyone actually gets interested enough to buy or borrow a copy.

Reply With Quote
  #4   Add shuu to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 13:36
shuu shuu is offline
Regular
 
Default

its just part of a very very long semi-historical account of some random people some where in ancient India...talking about different tribes/kingdoms having a war, certain princes, etc, and then later on for some reason, people added to it claims that certain characters were gods. Basically poets just took what kshatriyas wrote about in the upanishads and applied those theories to the heroes in the mahabharata epic, there you have the bhagavad-gita.

[This message has been edited by shuu (edited 01-27-2007).]
Reply With Quote
  #5   Add Hare_Geist to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 13:41
Hare_Geist Hare_Geist is offline
Moderator
 
Default

Hinduism is definitely my favourite religion. I've been meaning to read a lot of it's texts.
Reply With Quote
  #6   Add ---Beany--- to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 14:14
---Beany--- ---Beany--- is offline
Regular
 
Tea and Crumpets country
Default

What I've read is good but sometimes I wish Prabhupad's translations and explanations were a bit better.

Reply With Quote
  #7   Add yango wango to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 20:00
yango wango yango wango is offline
Regular
 
canada
Default

Not only was it enlightening but it was also beautiful to read.
Reply With Quote
  #8   Add psuedogunslinger to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 20:40
psuedogunslinger psuedogunslinger is offline
Regular
 
Oregon
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ---Beany---:

What I've read is good but sometimes I wish Prabhupad's translations and explanations were a bit better.
Read Stephen Mitchells version, I'm not too fond of the Hari Krishna version either. This site has more versions to choose from: http://www.gitasupersite.iitk.ac.in/index.htm

The Krishnas are kinda odd...
Reply With Quote
  #9   Add Mahatma Gandhi to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 20:45
Mahatma Gandhi Mahatma Gandhi is offline
Regular
 
Default

Can you summarize what the fuck it is all about?
Reply With Quote
  #10   Add Mahatma Gandhi to your ignore list  
Old 2007-01-27, 20:47
Mahatma Gandhi Mahatma Gandhi is offline
Regular
 
Default

Looks like those guys are about to have a fight. Didn't read.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23.


 

 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Advertise | Art | Carnality | Community | Contact Us | Copyright Policy | Entertainment | FAQ
Link to totse.com | Science | Search | Society | Submissions | Technology
Hot Topics
The great films
Harsh Times
Let the right one in
Do NOT watch the movie Burn After Reading
Notorious
Sicko
WW2 movies from the other side
Disturbing as oppose to Disgusting
 
Sponsored Links
 
Ads presented by the
AdBrite Ad Network

 

 

TSHIRT HELL T-SHIRTS