Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it

Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

#1   Add Squiggerz to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 05:32
Acolyte

USA Squiggerz is an unknown
Default Concrete Question

Hi guys, swim knows this may be a little off subject for the group, but LT is the only ppl swiSq knows that would know the answer to this.

SwiSq is needing to destroy a section of concrete, in a fairly secretive fashion over a decent period of time, say a few weeks to a few months, a gradual thing. This particular area is already cracked about a ft or two in, it is approximately 3-4 inches thick and the general idea is to erode it slowly to the point where it will need to be replaced for sure..

Any ideas as to what chems swiSq could use? Swim figured HCl would be a good starting point or h2so4 maybe, but thought this may be too harsh and cause a lot of hissing and steamy stuff that may attract attention.. maybe a dry agent that would react with rain possibly? Much appreciation to any ideas.

Sq
  #2   Add stupid noob to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 05:43
Regular

facist nation Send a message via ICQ to stupid noob Send a message via MSN to stupid noob stupid noob is helpful stupid noob is helpful
Default Re: Concrete Question

LOL only if you want to CLEAN the concrete. Otherwise, get a jack hammer, or a sledge hammer, or something similar. Or blow it up. But acid won't do shit to it except make it nice and clean.
  #3   Add Squiggerz to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 05:59
Acolyte

Hammering or blowing up (as forementioned, this needs to be a little on the hush side) is out of the question.

As swim continues to read around, he's seeing a theme, here's a general idea from the infamous wikipedia:

Chlorides

Chlorides, particularly calcium chloride, have been used to shorten the setting time of concrete. However, calcium chloride and (to a lesser extent) sodium chloride have been shown to leach calcium hydroxide and cause chemical changes in Portland cement, leading to loss of strength, as well as attacking the steel reinforcement present in most concrete.

Sulphates

Sulphates in solution in contact with concrete can cause chemical changes to the cement, which can cause significant microstructural effects leading to the weakening of the cement binder.

Swim is understanding (I think) that concrete is a mixture of several things, held together with a binder-- there's gotta be something out there (BESIDES A F'N JACKHAMMER LOL) that breaks the bond slowly (not years, more like weeks or months).. come on, if you dream PSE out of the gakky shit in those pills these days, surely concrete is a no-brainer, which is why I thought of here lol

Sq
  #4   Add stupid noob to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 06:19
Regular

facist nation Send a message via ICQ to stupid noob Send a message via MSN to stupid noob stupid noob is helpful stupid noob is helpful

All that is for when it is wet. It does not apply to set concrete. There really isn't a chemical you can get OTC that will do what you want. AND if you DID find something, it would hurt whoever touched it or was around it. SO, even if I knew how to help you, I wouldn't because of the risk to health and life to others that would be created.
  #5   Add Squiggerz to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 11:29
Acolyte

Understood.

Guess I'll just go back to reading some of these 'meth making for the complete idiot' threads instead lol... </sarcasm></irony>
  #6   Add JoePedo to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 14:25
Regular

JoePedo is helpful JoePedo is helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggerz View Post
Hi guys, swim knows this may be a little off subject for the group, but LT is the only ppl swiSq knows that would know the answer to this.

SwiSq is needing to destroy a section of concrete, in a fairly secretive fashion over a decent period of time, say a few weeks to a few months, a gradual thing. This particular area is already cracked about a ft or two in, it is approximately 3-4 inches thick and the general idea is to erode it slowly to the point where it will need to be replaced for sure..

Any ideas as to what chems swiSq could use? Swim figured HCl would be a good starting point or h2so4 maybe, but thought this may be too harsh and cause a lot of hissing and steamy stuff that may attract attention.. maybe a dry agent that would react with rain possibly? Much appreciation to any ideas.

Sq
I don't suppose you've, umm, given any thought to, say... seeds? Say, in the "colonizer" ecological niche, the shit that comes in and breaks down the rock after volcanic eruptions 'n that sort of thing?

Incidentally, aerial city-wide seedbombing to reduce the concrete jungle to its natural state probably belongs in "mother earth." Or, "bad ideas." Or both.
  #7   Add Squiggerz to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 18:09
Acolyte

YES! Perfect idea! Thank you my friend.
  #8   Add stupid noob to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-10, 23:43
Regular

I see your point there OP, but I don't really help people do THAT either. I don't actually really tell people much of anything most of the time, I help them find places to learn it themselves, and where to find info they need.

No way will I take the ethical responsibility of telling someone exactly how to cook dope. Sure, I will show you a few places and things that may help you learn, but it's up to the person themselves to sort out what is good and what is not.

I was not spoonfed, nor will I spoonfeed. I'd like to keep the homemade meth scene on the downlow. The less idiots we have trying this shit, the better. Not that I am saying its, "evil" or whatever, but the majority of people that are interested in that are trying to get high, and I refuse to help those people.

The other kind, those interested in science, and learning, I'll help those guys all day, and those are the ones grateful for the way I help, the other guys get pissed because it's not instant gratification.
  #9   Add RAOVQ to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-11, 00:55
Regular

the happy land of australia RAOVQ is helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid noob View Post
I was not spoonfed, nor will I spoonfeed. I'd like to keep the homemade meth scene on the downlow. The less idiots we have trying this shit, the better. Not that I am saying its, "evil" or whatever, but the majority of people that are interested in that are trying to get high, and I refuse to help those people.
im curious about the distinction. isn't the whole point of making drugs to use them?
  #10   Add Lacedwithdelight to your ignore list  
Old 2007-07-11, 01:00
Regular

Denmark Lacedwithdelight is an unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAOVQ View Post
im curious about the distinction. isn't the whole point of making drugs to use them?
Yah, but you gotta love the chem behind it all.